Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Returning to Portland

I am back on the road today - May 12 - heading back across America. After a sad goodbye and some hugs, I wish my love Anna good luck with school and hit the road. It is going to be a tough time these next 14 months apart, but I truly believe we're strong and can do it. I miss you so much though Anna.

(due to technical difficulties and no real wifi, no photos or video today, but we'll work on that tomorrow.)

Today's drive ended up being about 500+ miles. Though, I'm not really 500 miles closer to home. I picked up my buddy Pete in Baltimore and he will be driving back with me. Our route will take us through the middle of the country - a part neither of us have spent much time in. Today was mostly West Virginia. And yes, you can start making the pig noises and jokes about taking shortcuts.

I have to say that WV is a beautiful state. We started off on the interstate, but quickly got off and headed into the Adirondacks to get some local color. It was only after getting off the beaten path that we realized we were headed in the right direction to hit 2 microbreweries. Woo hooo! As we left civilization for the forest, we stopped by a country store to get some liquid refreshments and Pete asked a question of the owner. She responded and I remember something to the affect of - "....and don't go down that road there....." It was a line right out of some horror flick where young kids do everything wrong and get kidnapped and eaten alive. We just laughed and headed in.

We stopped by Blackwater brewing after tackling about the first 100 miles of the Adirondacks and were not that impressed. Yeah, they brewed their own and it was good beer, but the brewer (who was on site and brewing right in front of us) wasn't that nice. She was actually a bit surly. After a single beer, we headed down the street to Mountain State Brewing in Thomas, WV. We drove right past and couldn't find them, so called. They turned us around and when we arrived, we discovered they were actually closed on Tuesdays - yet they would serve us because "he had nothing better to do..." What amazing hospitality. Oh, and their beers were great too. They had 4 on tap - an Amber, an IPA, a Stout and a Blonde. We got to taste each and then he offered a pint more. I only took the tastes as I was the driver for the day. Would you believe that - me being responsible? We chatted for about an hour with the brewer and it was a great time had by all. We said our goodbyes and headed off.

I had hoped to get to Charleston WV and we're close, but we both ran out of steam and decided to stop about 40 miles short. I used by trusty Blackberry to find a hotel and we ended up in Sutton WV at the Elk Motor lodge. For a whopping $36, we have a room (actually 2) with cable TV. The jokes about being at a hotel who's sign is turned off in the middle of WV keep on a coming. I will make sure to have something sharp by the bed before heading to sleepland. Honestly, it isn't bad. I have video, but there isn't WiFi here and uploading via cell broadband just doesn't cut it.

Best nuggets of the day:
  • Front Royal, Virginia - ate a great lunch at County Seat Pub and Eatery and spoke with one of the individuals there who informed us that one of the most notorious confederate spies - John S. Mosby - made Front Royal and surrounding areas his domain. He was also known as the Gray Ghost and Disney made a movie about him. Some of his cohorts were caught in Front Royal and we learned that 2 were shot in the head in the parking lot of the restaurant we were eating at. Ahh, history.
  • In West Virginia, we stopped at a liquor store to get some beer and I wanted to buy some whiskey. The liquor area's lights were off, so I asked - "Can I get some whiskey" - to which I received the answer - "Why no, there are no liquor sales on ELECTION DAY!" Seriously, that is the best liquor law I have heard yet. Don't want the donkeys and elephants getting drunk and fighting on election day I guess.
  • Hotel!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Watch out for the crazy eyed old man wearing a hat...pointing at you and repeating: "You're doomed....You're all dooooooomed...."