Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A visit to the grandparents

Yup, a visit to Canby MN and Winona Mn. My parents are from Minnesota, so as a child we visited often usually during Christmas or the first few weeks of summer. Canby is a farming town, whereas Winona is more of a business town on the Mississippi. Each had its charm as a child. Oh, the memories. I relayed many of those memories to Anna as we got closer and closer to Minnesota and Canby this morning. Canby is a little off the beaten track, so it took some efforst to get there, but it was worth it to see my grandparents home and the cafe where I would eat lunch with Grandpa back in the 70's and 80's. Initially, I couldn't find the house based on my memories, so had to call mom (she grew up there) and she was overjoyed that I was visiting.

DSCN8855.JPG

I was then told I was a day early because my aunt from Minneapolis was going to be down that way tomorrow for lunch with all of thier cousins. Oh well, you win one you lose one. We wandered around town a little, but realized we needed to get some miles under out belt, so took off. On the way out of town, we also snapped some photos of the church where my parents were married in 1961 and where we attended funeral services for my Grandparents many years ago. Once again, "oh the memories."

DSCN8871.JPG

Then it was off across Minnesota. Storms storms storms.

After what seemed like the longest drive so far (which it wasn't,) we decided to take the turn up to Winona MN where my father grew up. Honestly, it was tough because I didn't feel like we had the time, but then I thought - when will I be past here again - and took the turn. It was all of a 30 minute departure - easy! We found my dad's childhood home and my Aunt Helen's house to boot. My memories are more of Aunt Helen's home and playing scrabble on the porch for hours on end. I wish the weather was better and we had more time as I wanted to show Anna the Mississippi. But alas, we're on a schedule.

Burmeister house - Winona

Aunt Helen's House - Winona

Oh, and South Dakota and Minnesota have a mini mart that just makes me chuckle.

DSCN8888.JPG

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhh...The Kum & Go. More visions of Oklahoma. There's also a burger joint with curb service in NW Arkansas called The Park & Blow...your car's horn that is.

Anonymous said...

so dirty! me likey!