Monday, May 5, 2008

Sioux Falls

O.k., for those of you left hanging, we never did find a safe watering hole near Atomic City. I vacillate between beating myself up for not having the guts to enter that lonely dusty bar/cafe, to DSCN8364.JPGthanking my lucky stars we left the car running and beat feet out of that place.

DSCN8546.JPG

Another time zone crossed today. And so, while my computer's clock says it's only 9:14pm, all the clocks around here say it's 11:14pm. Another hour - vanished. Driving across South Dakota on I-90 really took a lot out of me. That, and the crappy night's sleep at the Spearfish Quality Inn, the crappy jumbo prawn dinner (just thinking about it sort of makes me gag) at the Rusty Spur in Murdo SD and last night's crappy Chinese food caked on my jeans makes me weary.
DSCN8720.JPG
But Mt. Rushmore was cool, and so was Crazy Horse (I estimate it'll take about another 200 years to finish that sculpture at the rate they've been going the last 60 years).
DSCN8768.JPG
Deadwood was trippy at 9am; a little like Disneyland and a lot like Las Vegas and completely socked in with feet of snow.
DSCN8759.JPG
DSCN8741.JPG
Oh yeah, so was Spearfish, where we spent the night. Not just a few inches, but FEET. I'm impressed with how the main roads are kept so clear and bone dry. I'm sure it helps that that sun is out and today it reached about 75. But we saw snow well after Rapid City. My gosh, and the wildlife. I'm in love with deer and their sweet little faces and RIP all you dim little dead deer on the side of the road. And the prairie dogs are beyond cute, the way the stand up and stare at all the cars like we're the only entertainment in town.
Phoebe is holding up well. She just has this issue with early mornings at the hotels and all the comings and goings of guests in the nearby rooms. It's really annoying and I'm pretty sure I'm sleep deprived.
DSCN8655.JPG
DSCN8563.JPG
I need some sleep!

No comments: